Tuesday, January 5, 2016

party like it's 1999

Tuesday, 01/05/16, 4:35pm

I like that I've got a trend of dating and "time-stamping" (I feel so corporate using that term) each of my blog posts. I've enjoyed it when I look back at old posts (because I do that). And now in the new year, it's been good practice for writing 16. 2016.

Wow.

We're in the year 2016. That sounds so futuristic in a lot of ways. And I guess it is in many. Apparently futuristic became smart phones and infinite data at the touch of a button. "Smart" everything: phones, tablets, computers, thermostats, watering systems, cars. There's plenty there to talk about with the merits of that and what we're losing as a society by becoming that way, and there's totally a balance to be had, but that's not really what I want to talk about.

2016 feels old for me. I mean I'm not really old. I just turned 31 and have two kids. In my social circle (other moms with kids similar ages), I'm beyond young. At least in this part of the country, most people (not us), focus on their careers and their outdoor activities (skiing, running, cycling, etc) in their twenties and wait until their thirties to settle down. Apparently we did the opposite. It can get lonely to be in our situation. Our older friends consider us young and our younger friends consider us old. Sigh.

And now 2016 feels old to me. I have clear memories of 1991 becoming 1992 and so on. And every year having trouble remembering to write the new year. It's weird to think of the number of years that have gone by for me. A lot has happened in my life and a lot has changed over time. When I was younger, I always looked forward to being older. Now I feel pretty comfortable with my age, and yet someday, I'll wish I was younger.

This is one of those blog posts where I got interrupted in the middle of it. It is now 8:02pm, kids are almost asleep, and I no longer feel the itch to write. I'll still publish this as a short post, always discussions that may come back another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment