Monday, January 4, 2016

and so today, my world it smiles

Monday, 01/04/16, 3:45pm, 6:35pm

Apparently I am blogging again today. I feel... well... as cheesy as it sounds... called to.

I was starting to write some emails and found that I had the writing itch. So here goes. Note to self, finish emails once done with blog.

I was thinking about how therapeutic my blogging is. It's weird. So I was running with my mother-in-law over the weekend and telling her how I have a hard time calling myself a "runner" even though I run. I consider myself to be a slow runner, I don't run long distances, it feels like I should be calling myself a jogger or something. And I have the same attitude about calling myself a writer even though I've started to write. Seems like there should be a lesser title for what I do. But I am. I am a runner. I am a writer. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I've discovered I enjoy writing. It is therapy for me. I like playing with it, throwing things in or making particular word choices that only I know exactly why I chose to write it the way I did. How fun is that? Yeah, I'm hooked. 

I've had a fascination with triathlons for quite some time, but had sworn them off after a knee injury 9 years ago. I had sworn off running (boy that has improved!!). But then I participated in 2 triathlon relays in previous years. Those were incredibly fun. I loved having a team to work together, each of us playing to our one strength. A coworker got me into the first one I did, a sprint length relay, pulled me into the swim even though I hadn't been swimming regularly for a few months. Then 2 summers ago I completed double the distance swim in the olympic length relay with my 2 sisters. I swam, Audra biked, and Vida ran, each of us playing to our strengths, and a sister team to top it off. 

This past summer, I completed my first sprint length triathlons, and it was a blast. The first was way better, due to the weather being warm, but not ridiculously so, and early in the morning before the sun was at its highest. The later one, I struggled. It was hot, late morning/early afternoon, with the sun at its peak. I'm so proud of myself for both, especially for the one I struggled, and again, I'm hooked. 

So I've signed up for the longer distance olympic triathlon for this June. I've got some training ahead of me for this as I'm not exactly comfortable with the running distance yet, although I can do it, and I probably shouldn't wing the swim this time. I'm excited though. It's short-term goals that help me towards my eventual long-term goals around running and triathlons.

I guess I'm somewhat of an athlete as well. Wow. Runner. Swimmer. Cyclist. Writer. Engineer. Mother. Wife. Daughter, Daughter-in-law, Sister, Sister-in-law, Aunt. Friend. Homemaker. 

Happy day today. I like finding focus and purpose and accomplishment. Today I achieved several of those.

Oh and this afternoon? I did a kickboxing workout off a DVD, with the boys watching/participating. It was a blast. I only missed 2 pushups and a couple stretches to capture these gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment