Wednesday, September 27, 2017

in my place, in my place were lines that I couldn't change, I was lost, oh yeah

Wednesday, 09/27/17, 10:36am, 1:01pm

Hey there.

As usual, of late, you know, like the last several weeks, haha, we shouldn't put any kind of "standard" on my life of the past many months or years or anything like that... but "as usual", the week, since Monday, has been going rather decently well. Unlike the weekend was. This seems to be my life as of late, shall we say the last month-ish? Because as a quick reminder, I suffer from treatment-resistant depression, and anxiety, at least for like the last 10 years or so, with an additional bout of it when I was a pre-teen.

If you haven't read my whole blog, which I'm sure most people haven't, you may not know my history. If you want a better understanding of how my depression manifested, or just a reminder, read here. As many of my readers know, we experienced a big loss last year: my brother-in-law Adam, who had been suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, died on May 13th on May 13th when hit by a train. I think my depression took a big turn for the worse after his death, and I couldn't seem to recover. You know, speaking of which, I was so lost in my own "worseness" and whatever, I didn't even acknowledge the 1-year anniversary of Adam's death in my blog. In the years before his death, I was medicated for depression and anxiety, I went regularly to therapy, tried to practice various coping techniques at home, and I think I often convinced myself that I was "good enough". I'm not sure that I ever really was, even before Adam's death, but when medications worked, at least a little, it often didn't seem worth it to switch to something else.

Last year, November 29, is when my psychiatrist first brought up "treatment-resistant depression"; this was before he was quite ready to diagnose me as such but when we were going to try one more antidepressant as a last-ditch effort. My post about that, actually, describes my various medication efforts decently well. I've been re-reading old posts more today, hence all the links, mainly because of my memory issues from ECT. If we recall, I've got this weird phenomenon going on called "state-dependent memory", so it's rather difficult for me to really remember how truly bad I was before ECT. I think going through some old blog posts, especially seeing ones I wrote when I was in a bad state, or like when in one of the posts I described how 5 of the last 7 days have been shitty days.

That's not how I'm doing currently. It's changed... significantly... since ECT. It's weird, from that first time I'd ever mentioned ECT, hoping I'd never have to read more about it, to my description of the first treatment, and to writing 5-star reviews of my ECT place on Google, things have changed, just a bit.

I am much, much better. Although the weekends have been tough, over and over again, and this Sunday Nasser and I discussed various treatment changes, we discussed it at length with my long-time, primary psychiatrist, the one I've been seeing for many, many years now. I'd say, for sure, that he knows me, he knows my history, very, very well. Nasser and I, both, trust his medical/psychiatric opinion. When we mentioned the idea of trying a new antidepressant, he was immediately, like, "oh no, I wouldn't want to chase perfection." Because he sees how much I have improved, and really, we have a pretty decent idea of what we need to work on. It's the weekends- whether it's the lack of routine, or ridiculous expectations I place onto to-dos, etc, I do believe it's something we can improve, without changing treatment. It's something we can improve with the help of all the troubleshooting we're doing, with the help of my therapist, with the help of my doctors, and family, and friends. It's not something that feels like the end of the world anyway, because in strong contrast to how I was doing before ECT, I can, and do, improve and recovery within in the same day of dipping down into that depression.

Well. I think that's just about as much as I can handle today with this post. Sorry, dear readers, I am feeling a call and need to relax. Haha. Before I do, I'm going to leave you with a picture from my run on Sunday, the one that really helped me recover, the one in the rain.

Oh, and some pictures of my kiddos doing chores the previous weekend... because despite what I say about weekends being tough, they haven't been all bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment