Monday, July 11, 2016

and the moon is the only light we'll see

Monday, 07/11/16, 10:33am

We had a big camping trip this weekend, along with a lot of family and friends. It ended up being a gorgeous, picture perfect location for camping, right on Lake Granby. Below is our campsite Friday evening. We had 5 sites in our group, all close together, most of us on the water.


This is on the west side of Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park (RMNP). We ended up driving the slightly longer route to get there Friday afternoon, through RMNP, on Trail Ridge Road. Saw lots of elk, a moose, and some deer.



Some of the group didn't end up coming until Saturday afternoon and one family arrived fairly late Friday evening, so the first of us had some quiet together time by the fire, play/digging time for the kids, and we thoroughly enjoyed that first sunset. Saturday was great too, although there were certainly more activities going on, but we'll get to that later.




I love this shot; it had to be bigger. :) 



kids had to have their marshmallows and s'mores!

Saturday morning through lunch we spent at the campsite. We made our breakfast, then my friend and I did a swim in Lake Granby! Jake had a wetsuit which was more appropriate for the cold, open water swim, but I got through the water entry and first 5 minutes ok. Those are the worst when the water is on the colder side. But then I got used to it enough and my body got warmer as I started taking strokes. Open water isn't super easy for me, but I got a lot better at it this weekend. (We swam again on Sunday morning). I felt so good after the swims both days- refreshed and energized. It was a fantastic, amazing place for a swim!


The kids played in the water and in the sand all morning and we had a leisurely lunch at the campsites.







Sorry, I can't stop with the gorgeous pictures of water + mountains + boats + clouds. Ah, I love it. I miss it.

We went for a hike in the afternoon with most of the group, to Adams Falls and a bit beyond. Very pretty, and kids did pretty well, considering how warm it got. Unfortunately many of us got bitten by mosquitoes through the marshy, river part.







The next series of pictures are the a selection of Nasser's and my selfie experiments, hah. I don't think we've quite mastered the art of the couple selfie. Hey they don't call it couplie, do they?



The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent at the campsites. My brother brought his inflatable kayak and rowboat, which proved to be a hit with all the kids, and many of the adults!









Of course, I missed getting pictures of much of the group, since I took a turn with a few kids in the kayak. Awesome, awesome time. So of course, last night after getting home from camping, Nasser and I spent some time looking at various inflatable boats on Amazon. Hopefully sometime, if the price is right, and we are ready to spend it, we'll buy our first boat. Haha, yes, only the inflatable kind, but still awesome for things like this. Sunday morning, when Jake and I swam again, Nasser followed along in the kayak, along with a set of cousins. We started off the swim first, and by the time we reached the turn around point, at this little island, Nasser had caught up to us. The boys really enjoyed taking a couple steps on the island. Of course I have no pictures, since the swim was not conducive to bringing along my phone. I don't own a fancy camera, let alone a water proof one, although the one on my phone is fancy for phone cameras I suppose. Awesome thing to have readily available in most circumstances.

Anyway, Sunday after the swim was a mix of breakfast, some last minute boating again, and lots and lots of packing up and taking down. Our fabulous new tent, same one that both my sisters have for their families, had a slight mishap and one of the structure poles separated on us. Luckily the tent is under warranty. Speaking of tent, I never showed you the pictures I took once everything was set up, and not yet slept in.



Our view was fantastic.


And now this week, I have a mad rush of things to do. Lots of unpacking and laundry from the weekend of course. But then we turn around and leave for San Diego on Friday! It's going to be a fun, hopefully relaxing time (in which we'll hopefully get a bit of pool and beach time in), with some friends to see if possible. It's just our little family, which I'm honestly ready for, with those introvert tendencies I've been getting. We'll still be seeing a fair number of people though I guess. I'm hoping it's not too stressful of a trip. I want to enjoy it and not get depressed.

This week I also have some things to catch up on. I've been procrastinating a number of things since Adam died, perhaps needing to not do it at first, but now refusing to because I don't remember everything I need to know to do them. I have this volunteer job through my choir; I handle CD orders. Adam died on Friday night, at the start of our concert weekend. Everyone was so understanding about me needing to not handle any of the choir stuff in those weeks following his death. But now I need to take a deep breath and catch up on all that paperwork and financials, etc.

I still feel the pain of Adam's death acutely, but the times I feel ok/normal/happy are longer and more ok then they were in the weeks immediately following. I hope it's getting that way with all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment