Friday, November 4, 2016

insanity laughs under pressure we're breaking, can't we give ourselves one more chance

Friday, 11/04/16, 8:30am

I have limited time this morning, and I had several things on the agenda, but here I am blogging instead. Hopefully that ends up being a right decision. And I say "a" right decision, not "the" because I think I've always felt that multiple decisions in life could be right.

What I mean is, for example, when I was considering college, I felt that I could get a similar experience at multiple schools. For me, I never had to go "visit colleges" because I felt that there were many similar options and it would be too difficult to narrow down such similar places and then agonize over which school was "the right one". Plus, for me, I had one very obvious choice that I was gonna go through with. I lived in Illinois, so clearly the in state schools were going to be the best financial options. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was great for engineering, which I was planning on pursuing, my siblings had all gone there and had great experiences, it was close but not too close to home, plus my brother would be there in his senior year, during my freshman year. And even though I really liked Madison, and the campus there, and there were some things I really liked about Wisconsin, I was too lazy to find scholarships to make it a good financial choice. And I don't believe that the education would have been significantly different, I'm so happy with the experiences I got at U of I, and I love the friendships I made that I wouldn't trade a single thing. But I do believe if I had gone with a different school, my experiences would have been just as "one of a kind" and special that I wouldn't trade anything there. There were many "right" options there, and so I wouldn't agonize over those.

I think I do agonize over things that have happened in my life more recently. I need to remember that had my life gone differently, there certainly would have been other challenges that wouldn't make that alternate universe life any better. And I love the big things in my life as it is. My children, Nasser, my friends and family.

So, not to quickly change topics, but I will anyway. I'm on this fantastically supportive and motivating group on facebook called MRTT (Moms Run This Town). It's a running group. :) One of the moderators of the group (in our local chapter, I don't follow any national one, but there are these groups all over the place), who I know in real life, and she is an amazing person, posted about having seen the movie, Embrace. You should watch the trailer, people, right now, here. Also I keep re-watching it, over and over this morning, and keep crying at the end. Watch it, even if you feel like you don't want to cry right now. It was tears of joy.

I have to figure out how and when I can see this movie, which I'm currently finding here. And yes, there is a screening coming up in my area that I might be able to make work and has availability, sa-weeeet. Mental note, must decide and buy tickets, like today. Haha.

My friend's post on the running group was an inspiration she had from watching this movie. She asked us to "tell us something that your body has enabled you to do that brings a huge smile to your face, something you are proud of!"

I responded that first off, my body birthed two children. And then I talked about these accomplishments from over the summer. I reposted this picture,

which for me really reminds me of how I felt after the Olympic triathlon, full of joy, and in tears over the feeling of my accomplishment. At the simple completion. Not over how great I felt or how awesomely I did, because I did not have much confidence in either at the time, but the pride in what my body did.

My friend, in her response, reminded me of what my body continues to do with regards especially to my children, in "feeding them, holding them, loving them". I did and do all that too. :)

It's good to feel pride in our accomplishments, whether they be of the body, or of the mind. I suppose that though it feels I haven't done much since those summer athletic accomplishments (which is totally NOT truly, Alisa, like remember the runs, the bike rides, the 14er attempt?), I've also made some mind accomplishments in blogging, in learning the right ways for me to reach out for support, and in mindfulness. I've switched medications which was and still is a challenge.

We're always making accomplishments with our minds and bodies, especially when we become more mindful and focused, but it's also good to recognize them, big or small, and remind ourselves of them when we're feeling low.

I've been taking a variety of photos the last few days. And I will finish with this random assortment.

morning sunrise

quality Buddy time, petting in the sunlight

I made pumpkin bread, in the crockpot. 
didn't work that well, overdone on the outside, because I cooked it so long 
to complete cooking of the middle. RG said he doesn't like this one as much. 
oh well, such are experiments.

I made whipped cream, to go with the pumpkin bread I guess?
hmmm, I've been forgetting about that existing in the fridge...

the Cubbies won the World Series, you guys. for the first time in 108 years. woah.
I love seeing one of our Cubs fans neighbors' pride on the way to/from our park/busstop.
(I say one of our Cubs fans neighbors because we have several...)

TK and I were making a list for the day. I wrote the stuff we "needed" to do, 
he wrote the stuff he wanted to do. I think we accomplished everything he wrote.

ah, I changed the sheets on our bed to comfy flannel sheets, because the nights have been cold.
also, Buddy the cat, may have felt a little trapped while I was making the bed.


a bunch of shots of my TK buddy from yesterday. he was dancing to snoopy music videos, biking with me running, and playing at the park. although my mood wasn't up to par yesterday, we did a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment