Monday, May 9, 2016

I've had my share of sand kicked in my face but I've come through

Monday, 05/09/16, 2:19pm

This weekend was super busy for us, but overall it was a fantastic weekend. The busyness started Friday really, at least for me and dragging the kids around to Costco, haircuts, and packet pickup (you know, for my 10 miler race on Sunday :) more on that later on). Got close to losing it in the car between haircuts and packet pickup, but I did recover. Then Saturday we had to pack up for the weekend since we weren't coming back again until Sunday evening! Had a friend's crawfish boil Saturday afternoon in the foothills of Boulder, the opera (The Scarlet Letter) Saturday evening in Denver. Then Sunday morning was the 10 miler followed by celebrating Mother's Day with family in the afternoon.

My big highlight I want to tell you ALL about is, of course, my 10 mile race. Every step beyond 9.39mi was my longest distance ever. It was incredible. It was quite hard, and the second half didn't feel great, mostly we think because of that diet Nasser and I started. I was limited by the diet on what fuel I could have and what I brought did not work well for running (they were like energy bars, but low carb. tasty, but quite chewy and didn't digest quickly enough to get energy from). I ended up stealing energy chews from my sister (oh well) and a little while after the race I encouraged myself to throw up, which luckily helped with the nasty nausea. But. I finished. And I'm recovering better than I thought I would be.

Enjoy some pictures from before, during, and after the race.

before the race, from left: the 10miler friends ; MRTT/SRTT (Moms Run This Town/ She Runs This Town) supportive running group- we represented at this particular race!

the start. I look nervous, which I was.

from left: Audra, me, Vida (me and my sisters). close to the turnaround point, after Vida had already turned around and Audra and I were coming up on it. Audra was nice enough to run at my slower speed.

this is one of the professional shots (which we are free to use, how awesome is that?). 
I love that we both actually look like we're running!

this was the point at which every step was the farthest distance I'd ever gone. 
what an incredible feeling!

coming in on the finish!!

me and my sisters :), my wonderful supportive sisters. Vida helped me along on my first 5k after kids and my first 10k just last fall (which was my longest distance at that point). Audra has been training with me and trading runs and childcare off with me since February to get me to this point. Can't believe I've come so far!

the amazing medal. I'm in love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment