Tuesday, February 28, 2017

there, through the broken branches, go, the ravens of unresting thought; flying, crying, to and fro, cruel claw and hungry throat...

Tuesday, 02/28/17, 2:52pm, 4:02pm

I'm feeling especially down today. It's weird to even say that, because it feels like that's just been the last week/months/years of my life, but somehow today's even worse.

The TMS appointment didn't help. I mean I was doing pretty badly, emotionally speaking (both anxiety and depression hit pretty hard this morning), enough so that TK and I took the bus and a friend chauffeured us around the rest of the day. Man, I have some awesome friends. Speaking of which, another friend has made it to several of my appointments so far, in support, and she talked us into swimming after the treatment yesterday. I really need to get back into a good exercise routine, since I know it helps me, but TMS is almost about as much as I can handle right now.

So the TMS appointment today. The technician today was a different one than I've been seeing. They have two and normally I'll see them both each week- 2 days with one, 3 with the other. But last week the technician from today was out and today was my first treatment appointment with her. Although I'd already met her at the motor threshold appointment before treatment started.

Anyway, this technician said some strange things during the appointment today. First she seemed annoyed that I had brought a friend. Then, maintenance treatments came up in the conversation so my friend and I were asking about whether or not it's common for people to do maintenance with TMS (sounds like typically 2 days of treatment a month). The technician said something like "I'll be honest with you, a lot of people end up with maintenance treatments. And often those that go into remission, relapse or have a minor episode after a year. And most (many?) people end up on antidepressants again."

Now. It was likely not the technician's place to tell me all this negative news. And I don't know what's true now. When I search studies of the long-term efficacy of TMS, I'm finding good results, but most of what I'm seeing doesn't look past a year. So she could be right. But then why wouldn't the doctor have mentioned this in the first place? The technician shouldn't be acting like she knows all the long-term efficacy anyway, without basing any of this off studies. And what the hell really, telling me how this treatment doesn't really work for most people isn't the right thing to do why you're administering the treatment to me.

My friend pointed out that maybe she had been having a bad day. The technician probably thought she was being honest and helpful with me. I still don't think it was her place to say what she said, and I will be bringing it up with the doctor, carefully and not angrily, when I meet with him later this week.

Sigh.

I don't know what to think except to try and reject all the external noise. I need to just focus on getting through these treatments, doing what I can to keep myself sane and functioning right now, and doing what I can to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment